Friday, April 23, 2010

I don't get it!

Topps opening day cards baffle me. I had originally thought that the cards featured pictures of the players from opening day of the last season. Granted it wouldn't make sense to call them Opening day 2010, when they where from opening day 2009. Unless they released the cards at the end of the season of 2009.

Boy, was I an idiot.

They are exactly like the regular base Topps Series one cards, just with the opening day logo in the upper left hand corner. Same design, same pictures, same info. The only difference is the number on the back and the logo. WHOOP DE DO! (that was sarcasm btw)

It's stupid. It's pointless. It is a waste of damn cards.

They don't even come OUT on opening day! What the fruitcake?! Seriously. That makes sense at least. It's sill stupid as shit, but it makes sense.

Can someone please tell me what the purpose of these cards are? Is there something I am missing?

2 comments:

  1. I think they are supposed to be an even cheaper version of topps retail base. There are a couple of other minor differences. For example, the topps town cards have a completely different design and picture and are actually nicer in my estimation. It does not make a lot of sense. Upper Deck had been doing the same with Upper Deck "First Pitch" for several years.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I read somewhere that Topps' contract with MLB is that they have to have cards that are cheaper for kids. Hence the same cards as the flagship but without the foil so they are cheaper and kids can buy more cards. I agree with you that they should be photos from opening day 2010 and come out just after opening day, that way the different cards would be fun for collectors and actually make sense to call them 2010 Opening Day.

    ReplyDelete